4 min read
Previously, only the technical community could design and build websites. A layperson didn't even need to understand what a domain was for, let alone register one.
Consumer-friendly content management systems (CMS) have enabled many people to quickly and easily create professional-looking websites.
It is self-evident why businesses require domain names. You'll need one once you start building your website. Domain registrations, on the other hand, necessitate some planning and strategy in order to develop not only a strong online presence but also an identity. Here is a step-by-step Singapore Guide to
Purchasing Domain Registration.
Structure of a domain name
Take, for example, the domain xyzl.com. The Second-Level Domain (SLD) is xyzl, and the Top-Level Domain (TLD), also known as a "domain extension," is.com. When combined, they form the domain name.
Singapore Guide to Buying Domain Registration
This is your website's foundation. Not only does content affect search engine rankings, but it is also the reason most users visit your website in the first place. The information on the website should be useful, easy to read, and brief. Above all, well-thought-out web content and copy will help your website design become more effective, engaging, and popular.
Singapore Guide to Buying Domain Registration
1: Choosing and double-checking a domain name
It is critical to select a suitable domain name for your website. Once you've decided on one and made it public, you'll almost certainly have to stick with it for a long time.
Here are some pointers on how to choose a decent domain name:
• Select a good domain name that accurately describes your business.
• Choose a domain name with the potential to become a brand.
• If you want something to be remembered, it must be easy to pronounce.
• If at all possible, use.com or.com.sg as the gold standard.
• Try to keep it as brief as possible.
• Choose one that is unlikely to infringe on the trademarks of others.
• If your ideal SLD is not available, be creative while maintaining the integrity of your brand.
• If your domain name is intuitive, people should be able to understand what you do right away.
After you've decided on the first part of the domain name (SLD), you must select an extension.
The.sg domain has nine different extensions, which are listed below. Check that you have permission to use the extension you want:
• sg: Registration is open to any individual, company, or business with a local presence or an agent in Singapore.
• com. sg: To be eligible for a.com.sg, applicants must be registered with the Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA), IE Singapore, or another professional organization.
• org.sg: Only organizations that have registered with the Registry of Societies and are currently in the process of registering are eligible for.org.sg domain names (ROS). This expansion is open to town councils, religious institutions, community centers, and embassies. Other organizations that are not registered under the Societies Act, the Companies Act, or with professional bodies are also eligible to apply under this extension.
• edu.sg: This category is restricted to educational institutions only. All applicants in Singapore must be registered with the Ministry of Education (MOE).
• gov. sg: Participants in this section must be Singapore government employees.
• net.sg: Entrants in this sector must be a provider of data storage facilities or hosting services, as well as a provider of information technology systems or services.
• per. sg: This category is reserved for personal domain
names. Only Singapore citizens and permanent residents over the age of 18 are
eligible to apply.
• 新加坡: The Chinese language counterpart
of the. sg category is this one. The eligibility requirements remain the same.
• சிங்கப்பூர்: The Tamil language counterpart of the. sg category is this one. The eligibility requirements remain the same.
After you've decided on a domain name, you'll need to check to see if it's already in use. In Singapore, go to www. sgnic. sg and enter the domain name in the "Whois" box. If the domain name is available for registration and the search returns "Domain Not Found," it will be subject to SGNIC's Registration Policy and Procedures Guidelines.
It is self-evident why businesses require domain names. You'll need one once you start building your website. Domain registrations, on the other hand, necessitate some planning and strategy in order to develop not only a strong online presence but also an identity. Here is a step-by-step Singapore Guide to Purchasing Domain Registration.
2: Singapore Guide to Buying Domain Registration - Selecting a registrar
You could register your .sg domain name with a registrar that best fit your needs. The list of registrars is found on Singapore Network Information Centre (SGNIC) dated 02 March 2022.
· Ascio Technologies, Inc
· CSC Corporate Domains Inc
· DomainRegistration Pte Ltd
· Dreamscape Networks International Pte Ltd (Represented by subsidiary Vodien Internet Solutions Pte Ltd)
· Exabytes Network(Singapore) Pte Ltd
· Gandi SAS
· Instra Corporation Pty Ltd
· IP Twins SAS
· Key-Systems GmbH
· MarkMonitor Inc.
· Nameshield SAS
· Pacific Internet (S) Pte Ltd
· Safebrands SAS
· Safenames Ltd
· Singnet Pte Ltd
· United Domains AG
· Vooju Pte Ltd
· Web Commerce Communications (S) Pte Ltd
There are a plethora of external registrars in Singapore and elsewhere. Domain registrars charge different prices depending on whether or not they include value-added services such as a website and email hosting.
Is it necessary to buy all domain extensions for your official website?
When you check the availability of a domain name on a registrar's website, they will try to sell you alternative extensions of the same name.
The primary reason for purchasing more extensions is to protect your brand. For example, if your brand becomes well-known in the future, you may want to take control of a few of these extensions (such as.net or.biz) to ensure future security. Purchasing domain extensions should provide you with more options if you intend to establish multiple sites under your brand.
When .com isn’t available?
There are a few possibilities:
· Choose a.co or.io domain.
· Add suffixes to generic phrases like "hq," "app," and words that inspire action, such as "get."
· Various internet sites can assist with the brainstorming process, like www.domainsbot.com, domainr.com.
Acquiring your first domain name of choice may be difficult as more people sign up for domain names around the world. Your ideal SLD or extension may already be in use.
Before becoming frustrated, consider your budget as well as the future of your brand. When your company and brand are still in their infancy, it is more cost-effective to create a new SLD rather than attempting to purchase your ideal choice from its current owner.
In terms of domain extensions, still.com is the most well-known. You must purchase the.sg or.com.sg domain If you are catering to a specific audience and your services are limited to a specific city or country, a local domain may the best option.
Possessing a large number of domain extensions could be a valuable, albeit costly, asset. You should save the primary extensions in case you need them in the future to create new websites. This is a step-by-step guide to registering a domain name in Singapore.
What is Websitebuilder.sg?
Websitebuilder.sg is a free and simple online website builder that lets you create fast, seo-optimized websites in minutes.
People who don't know programming but nonetheless want to establish a strong online presence are ideal users of websitebuilder.sg.
Zero coding needed to create website. Simple to use templates. Unlimited hosting, domain, SEO, SSL.